Temporary Settlement of Scar
During the construction of the reservoir a village was built just below the dam to house the workforce and their families. The population reached up to 2,000 and the village was made up of all the amenities they may need. The village had hot and cold water, electric lighting and flushing toilets. The population of Pateley Bridge had no such luxuries and the workmen were under strict instruction that if they or any of their family misbehaved in any way, they would lose their job and be thrown out of the village.
There were ten large hostels for workmen (full-board for a week at one of the hostels cost £1), 34 semi-detached bungalows, 28 houses in five blocks and several other buildings including:
- Shops (grocer, butcher, draper, newsagent, fishmonger)
- 600-seat cinema
- Canteen (this building is now Darley’s Memorial Hall)
- Reading and recreation room
- Concert hall
- Fish and chip shop
- Mission hall for Sunday services
- Post office (Scar Village once had its own post mark)
- Tennis courts, golf course and its own football club
- School with three teachers and up to 90 pupils
- Fire brigade with 18 firemen and a police constable
- Hospital with a doctor and a nurse
On completion of the reservoir in 1936 the village was sold in lots over two days and dismantled.